Thursday, September 29, 2011

Nakhon Sri Thammarat - Khao Luang National Park

Khao Luang National Park covers an area of 570 sq.kms. and the main attractions are waterfalls. I don’t think I need to show more waterfall pictures, but I will say that Karom Waterfall is impressive. It falls 1,300-1,400 height in 19 levels.
In danger of stating the obvious, I just want to point out that driving in national parks during the tropical rain season entails certain risks, As the above picture shows, I found one of the entrance road blocked - the first landslide I encountered, I had managed to drive over, but the second one was a bigger obstacle.

Criss-crossing Nakhon Sri Thammarat's hilly interior on small gravel roads was great fun, but sometimes one has to make  a U-turn even in a 4WD vehicle.. 

I also enjoyed visiting the Kiriwong village, where the ambience is laid-back and with a whiff of being isolated although only a few dozen kilometers from a main highway. There are basic restaurants along a small river, so one can eat while watching the fish (and some kids) play in the stream below.
While driving over one of the ridges just south of the national park, I passed a wall pictured below. Now, why one would want to promote ozone was beyond me. However, the Thai text is actually claiming that this particular location has the best or cleanest air (not ozone) in all of Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment