Saturday, January 7, 2012

Chiang Mai

In its day, Wat Chedi Luang must have been the most impressive temple in Chiang Mai. Built about 600 years ago, the huge pagoda  (= chedi) soared high above the surrounding city. 


The temple was originally constructed in 1401 by the orders of King Saeng Muang Ma. In 1454, reigning King Tilo-Garaj enlarged the pagoda to a height of 86 meters.

Unfortunately, the chedi was mostly destroyed within a few hundred years of its construction. The chedi lay in ruin until 1991, when it was reconstructed and is now almost as impressive as it was 500 years ago. Inside the grounds of Wat Chedi Luang is also the lak muang, the guardian spirit city pillar of Chiang Mai.


In another blog, I gave an example of the extremely racist pricing policies at Chiang Mai Zoo, so I will not comment further on that.

However, I highly recommend a visit to the local branch of the National Museum. The focus is on the history of the Kingdom of Lanna before that kingdom was included in the Kingdom of Siam to escape the clutches of Burmese kings.

In the garden outside the museum, this wonderful Ganesh statue is found. The elephant god looks like he's really chilling.

2 comments:

  1. Enthusiastic words written in this blog helped me to enhance my skills as well as helped me to know how I can help myself on my own. I am really glad to come at this platform.
    Airport Limo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful for this blog to gave me much knowledge regarding my area of work. I also want to make some addition on this platform which must be in knowledge of people who really in need. Thanks.ทัวร์ ยุโรป

    ReplyDelete